Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Doey







Today is my best friend’s birthday. Yes, I have a handful of best friends, and they all mean the world to me. However, Doey (obviously not her real name, but the nickname Little Bug gave her when she was a toddler) is in a class by herself.

Let me tell you a bit about Doey. We became friends when I was working as a summer missionary at Camp Good News in Indiana. Her mom and my aunt thought it would be a good idea for Doey to show me around. By the end of the evening, I was really hoping she might want to be my friend, seeing as I knew hardly anyone else in the area. She did, and that was that.

At the time, she was 28 and I was 19. I am sure she thought me to be a mere child, but she never let on if she did. Every weekend of that first summer, we got together and went to supper, the movies, the local fair…. anything was a go as long as we were together.

That fall, I went back to Purdue, yet I didn’t forget about Doey. The next summer, she was by my side at the camp, both of us cooking our summer days away. It was a blast, and a best friendship was born.

You see, Doey is that special person that everyone needs in his or her life. She seems to be able to do anything. She has traveled all over the world. She has gone on fall round ups out west. She can bake like a dream. She can put a tired cranky baby to sleep in a flash. She is the real deal.

When I lost my two babies, she came and sat with me. Really, there was nothing she could do for me, but her presence in my home comforted me a great deal.

When my father died, she was with me every step of the way. I became so despondent and depressed, yet she never left me. We had planned a trip to Montana. I was so weak that she had to do everything for the trip. Yet she still took me.

I will never forget watching Doey load up the rental car, driving to where we were going next, unloading the car, setting everything up, and basically babysitting me for three weeks. Was it fun for her? I doubt it. Did I need that time in my life to heal? Absolutely.

I came home from Montana healed, refreshed, and ready to be a better wife to JP. And for that I have Doey to thank.

Doey and I are in almost daily contact, although we have never lived closer than an hour from each other. Nary a day goes by without a text or phone call. When it does happen, I miss her dreadfully.

Doey is my rock. She is one of the absolute best Christians that I know. I have never witnessed her judging anyone. She just loves on them, and if they are really lucky, she bakes them something.

Doey has taught me how to relax. How to burp Little Bug. To slowdown a bit. To not judge others. To share my possessions. To pray first. To always trust in our Lord.

Little Bug calls her Aunt Doey. To me she is so much more than a best friend. She is the sister I never had. She is my family. And I love her more than words could ever express.

Happy birthday, Doey. You, of all people, deserve a wonderful, happy day. May you be blessed beyond measure, today, and always. I love you.

~Annie

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU!!!! The birthday was fun as have the last almost 18 yrs of being friends with you!!! Oops, now everyone can do the math and figure out how old we are!!!

    ReplyDelete