Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Annie's Asparagus



One day, while my dad and I were driving down a country road near my childhood homestead, we stopped along side of the road to buy a few pounds of asparagus from a local farmer.

After a few minutes of chatting, it became apparent that the farmer was looking to hire another picker. I immediately grabbed a pair of gloves, got the rudimentary details of the ins and outs of asparagus picking, hopped on the cart, and was off. Thus began my three year career as an asparagus picker.

I loved it. Everyday, after school, I would rush home to feed the animals, rush off to baby-sit and tutor, then finally rush off to pick asparagus. Those few seasons of my life were some of the happiest of my childhood.

We all worked for Mrs. Kohlhagen. She was a wonderful boss. On really hot days, she would meet us at the end of the row with a special treat. Sometimes it was a soda. Other times it was a candy bar. Coming from such a poor family, those special treats seemed absolutely amazing to me. I can still remember how delicious an ice cold Pepsi and a mostly frozen Kit-Kat tasted after several rounds on the asparagus cart.

I rode the cart, which was pulled along by a tractor, about three inches above the ground. I would then lean over to my right and pick the asparagus as we went by. Anytime there was a mound of dirt that stood higher than three inches, that dirt landed in my lap. Needless to say, I was absolutely filthy every single night. And I relished in it.

There was something very freeing about becoming filthy within five minutes of starting work. We picked asparagus from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. We then sorted it out, keeping only the best stalks, from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. In the morning, the freshly picked asparagus took its journey to groceries all over the area. Everyone wanted Kohlhagen asparagus. It was the absolute best around, and everyone knew it.

Twenty years later, I still think back longingly to that time in the fields, and to that wonderful, perfect asparagus. Mrs. Kohlhagen spoiled me as to which asparagus is worthy of my time. To this day, I will stand at a pile of asparagus at a farmers’ market and individually select only the best stalks. Once you taste the difference, I bet you will too.

In order to select the best stalks, look for asparagus that is close to the size and width of an unsharpened number two pencil. Make sure that the tips are not seedy. The tips should be curved to a point on top and very clean.

Although some people do like the fatter stalks, I find them to be woody and tough. Also, seedy stalks seem to collect dirt in them. Imagine taking that first bite of asparagus and ending up with a mouthful of gritty dirt.

Since I normally pay by the pound for my asparagus, I ask the seller if I may snap off the whitish areas at the bottom of the stalk. Some say yes. Some say no. Most stand in amazement as I sift through their huge pile of green, potential yumminess.

Once you have selected and paid for your asparagus, you are ready to take it home and prepare it.

Annie’s Asparagus

  • Chop off bottoms of stalks. I do this by gathering them in my hand, lining up the bottoms, and cutting off the dried out bottoms. If you do not plan to use your fresh asparagus for a few days, you may do this step, then place all the stalks in a jar of water, in your fridge. This will keep your asparagus fresh until use.
  • Place asparagus in covered dish that can be placed in the microwave.
  • Add 1/8 cup of water. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
  • Place lid on dish.
  • Place in microwave at 80% power for ten minutes.
  • Remove and check for tenderness with a fork. Fork should be able to easily go into each stalk tested.
  • If stalks are not tender, repeat above steps at 3-5 minute intervals.
  • Once tender, remove from microwave and serve.

I have found this to be the easiest and most delicious way to prepare asparagus. By steaming it, I am able to keep all of the nutrients in tact as well. You may add butter if wish, but I have found that our eclectic family enjoys the taste of the asparagus that shines through after being steamed.

Enjoy the first day of Spring, my friends. As you go about your day, remember the words of Henry David Thoreau, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.”

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment