Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Ignorance of Racism





Recently, this story ran in our local news…

“A lesson about segregation in preparation for Martin Luther King Day has one family furious after their daughter came home upset on Friday.

During the teacher’s lesson plan for the day, half of the class was stamped with a red or purple mark on their hand. The teacher treated each group differently the entire day. The red group was ignored and asked to sit in the back of the classroom. While the teacher allegedly gave the purple group favorable attention and entertained them.

According to the school's superintendent, Friday was a typical lesson centered around anti-bullying and Martin Luther King Day. The teacher divides students into groups of privileged and non-privileged. The idea is to ultimately teach the importance of what's on the inside of a person not the outside that counts.

 “Her teacher told the students that all of the students with the purple stamps had beautiful faces and to come up to the front and red stamps go to the back,” the says mother.

The superintendent declined an interview but said he supports the lesson at this point.

The mother talked with the principal Tuesday morning and still wasn't satisfied with an explanation for the lesson plan.”



I fully support this teacher. I am so tired of whiny parents that get upset when things are not perfect and pleasant for their children. I want to tell them, "You know what? Racism is very REAL. I am sorry that your child cried, but maybe she SHOULD cry. Racism should make EVERY person cry. I am sorry that you don’t like that she cried, but you know what? I bet she will NEVER forget this lesson. EVER."

I grew up in a school that was almost entirely Caucasian. I hardly even knew racism existed in the real world. Sure, it was in history books and a few movies portrayed it, but I hadn’t a CLUE that it was still very real and very alive in this country.

Racism became very personal to me one day. I had taken one of our mentor kids to breakfast to celebrate her birthday. She was so excited to get to do something special. Just the two of us. She happens to be Native American. As we walked in, we felt the glares. Within minutes I heard the snickers and loud proclamations, from patrons and owners alike,  that “those people” should be with their “own kind.” Furious, I left, never again entering that establishment.

Folks, racism is a very real, very dangerous, thing. One thing we can do to combat the ignorance of racism is to educate others. I appreciate what that teacher tried to do for her class.

I realize that I normally write light and fun posts on this blog, but not today. Today I had to stand up. Stand up for that which is right. For that which is good. For those that cannot stand up for themselves. I ask you to do the same.

As Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said, The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

Stand with me, my friends. Stand up to ignorance and racism. Stand up against the evil of this world. Stand with me in defiance to prejudice. Stand for what is true. Stand for what is love.

 I Corinthians 13:13 “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

May we show our love by our actions, our thoughts, and our words.

~Annie

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy has felt this personally....he went to an elementary school where and his siblings were literally the only Caucasian kids. Racism is real for all races and it is wrong in every way.

    ReplyDelete