Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Annie's Chicken Quinoa Soup




Annie’s Chicken Quinoa Soup

A few years ago, JP had to be on a very specific diet for health reasons. During that time, I had to become very inventive with the foods allowed; or I would have had a mournful looking hubby on my hands.

Throughout that phase of our lives, I came up with a wonderful soup recipe that has made it into our regular supper rotation. As in, JP liked it so much that he kept asking for it. Even after he no longer HAD to eat it. Folks, that right there shows you how great it is.

I love to make this recipe on those cold, blustery winter days. The ones that make you chilly just looking out the window. While I prepare the yummy soup, I just laugh at the winds howling around our sweet little home, just daring the winter blues to try to come in. Nope. Not happening. Not to this mama. Not while I make this delicious, yet extremely healthy meal for my family.

Annie’s Quinoa Soup

  • Boil a chicken. Yep, that’s right. Boil a chicken. I suppose you don’t HAVE to boil a chicken, but it sure does smell good. And it adds moisture to the air of your home. And it also gives you leftover chicken for sandwiches and chicken potpie. What’s that? You don’t know how to make a chicken potpie? Well then, make sure to check out my recipe for it that I posted a while back. You will love it. I promise.
  • Pull chicken out of water and let it cool. I use a pie plate for this. (Actually I use the pie plate that I also use for cornbread. It is the perfect size.)
  • Once chicken has cooled, debone it. I set the breast aside for sandwiches, then divide the remaining chicken in half. Half will go into the soup; the other half will go into chicken potpie. Of course this is just what I do. You can do what you want, seeing as I am not there to stop you. ;-)
  • Using the chicken stock (don’t worry, that is just a fancy name for the water that you boiled said chicken in,) add the following:
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • ½ cup onions, diced
  • 3 large carrots, diced
  • 1 tsp sea salt (table salt will do if you are not into all of the different types of salts.)
  • ½ tsp pepper. (I like to use white pepper just because I think it gives it a better flavor, but once again, black will do swimmingly as well.)
  • 1 tsp chicken bouillon (that is equal to one cube)
  • 1-2 cups of quinoa, depending on how much broth you want in your soup. Personally, we add two cups because we like it to be thick, but if you want to have a lot of broth, just add less quinoa. If you do not have quinoa on hand, you may substitute rice.)
  • Chicken, diced

Stir. Heat to boiling. Simmer until veggies are cooked through and quinoa “pops.” You will know when this happens because the round little quinoa seeds will no longer be round. They will look like they exploded. And will be very yummy.

I like to make my soup first thing in the morning, and then let it simmer throughout the day, adding water as needed. NOTE: The quinoa will absorb A LOT of water. Make sure to keep adding water so you do not burn your magnificent supper.

This is a great meal for those that cannot have gluten. For someone that is not feeling well. For a hungry family. For just about any reason.

I like to whip up a batch of my cornbread to serve with the chicken quinoa soup. They seem to go well together. At least I don’t hear the troops complaining. ;-)

Remember, you can DO this. Yes. You can. Tonight. Or tomorrow. Or whenever the mood strikes you. As we all journey towards a healthier lifestyle and pocketbook, small changes will get us there.


~Annie

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try quinoa, and I will try this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete