Saturday, January 19, 2013

Annie's Fried Chicken




The other day I got a hankerin’ for fried chicken. Y’all I love fried chicken. So does my family. It is such an easy dish to make. I promise. It will be finger lickin’ good too. ;)

  • First, throw 3 TBSP of butter in a large skillet. NOT margarine. BUTTER. Please.
  • Grab a Ziploc bag. Dump ½ cup flour, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp. black pepper in to it.
  • Pop the chicken, a piece at a time, into the bag. Shake until covered with mixture.
  • Throw in skillet.
  • Put skillet on lowest heat.
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and let it be. As in don’t keep poking on it, or taking the lid off. Just let it be. Until you see browning along the edges of the chicken.
  • Flip. Once. Promise me this.
  • Sprinkle left over flour mixture in grease in skillet. This will make the yummy crunchies that my family fights over. Yours will too, I’m thinking.
  • Cover. And again, just let it be. When you mess with it too much, you interrupt the cooking process and the juices run out, leaving you with dry chicken. Who wants dry chicken, anyway? No one, that’s who. So just leave it.
  • Once you see that it is browning up nicely, remove lid and turn up to a medium heat so that the chicken crisps up.
  • Once it is crisp, remove from skillet and place on plate with a paper towel to absorb the remaining grease.
  • Once again, let it be. Give the meat time to rest and spread its juices throughout.

And there you have it. My fried chicken recipe. I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do. 

As Minny Jackson said in “The Help”, “Fried chicken just tends to make you feel better about life.”

~Annie

4 comments:

  1. About how long do you fry the chicken on each side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally fry on low for 30-40 minutes on the first side, then flip, fry the second side for 25-30 minutes. After you turn up the heat, it takes about 10 minutes to crisp. Make sure to watch it closely so that it doesnt burn. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of fried chicken...just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I am a huge fan of making fried chicken!

      Delete