Monday, January 28, 2013

Annie’s Italian Beef




Every summer I lay aside my apron and mantle of Stay At Home Mom, and return to the fields as a crop inspector. During that time, I work 12-18 hours a day,  25-40 days in a row. As my mind is filled will counts, paperwork, crop diseases, etc., I have little time to concern myself with what to make the troops for supper. This is where fabulous crock-pot meals come into play.

My Italian beef recipe has a very quick and easy prep time. Literally less than five minutes. FIVE. I guarantee it. If it takes you longer than five minutes, you might be doing something wrong. Start over.

Annie’s Italian Beef


·        Retrieve crock-pot. Mine is kept in storage in the basement. With such a tiny house, there is not room for the crock-pot to be kept upstairs. (Running up and down the basement steps is good for me.  I look at it as a morning workout. )
·        Place beef roast in crock-pot. I normally use my chuck roasts for this meal, but you can use any roast you wish. If there are just a few of you, use a smaller roast. If there are bunches in your troop, use a larger roast. As a point of reference, I use a three pound roast for the five of us.
·        Add  a jar of pepperoncinis with the juice. I actually buy a gallon jar at a time, so I just grab 2 handfuls of pepperoncinis and 2 cups of juice out of the gallon jar. If you do not want to commit to such a large jar, just purchase a smaller jar and add the entire thing.
·        Add 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
·        Fill crock-pot with water until it just covers the roast.
·        Swish the liquid around, being sure to evenly mix the garlic with the liquid
·        Place cover on crock-pot, set to low, and walk away for the next 8-10 hours
·        Remove roast from liquid, pulling meat apart with forks
·        Return roast to liquid
·        Serve.

Seriously. That is it. Roast, jar of peppers and garlic. I just put the buns next to the crock-pot and let each person serve himself. I also make sure there is a ladle and small bowls for the Au Jus. Serve with a pickle and chips.

I know many of you work outside of the home or are crazy busy with the kiddos if you are Stay At Home Parents. Sometimes it is nice to have a meal that is super easy to make, yet warm and delicious, to come home to at the end of the day’s work.

Tonight, take time to enjoy your family. Take time to really listen as they tell you about their days. Reconnect and relish in the people you love.

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment