Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Annie’s Eggplant Moussaka





Every year, as I plan my garden, I decide to grow eggplant. It is such a pretty plant and the eggplant itself is interesting. However, I found eggplant to be a bit bland for my taste, steamed or fried. It needed to be a part of a cassrole.

I decided to make my own Eggplant Moussaka. It was heavenly. So much so, that I wanted to write it down before I forgot my new recipe.

Annie’s Eggplant Moussaka

  • Brown 1 pound of ground beef.
  • Chop and onion. Add.
  • Add ½ cup tomato sauce.
  • Add 1 cup water.
  • Add 2 tsp. parsley.
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg. (Trust me. It adds a little zip.)
  • 1 tsp. sea salt. (Or regular table salt, if you prefer.)
  • ½ tsp. pepper.
  • Stir well and let simmer while you deal with the eggplant.
  • Chop the ends off of two to three eggplant, peel and slice them.
  • Sauté the eggplant slices in a bit of olive oil.
  • While the eggplant sautés, ready your mashed potatoes. If you do not feel like making real mashed potatoes, go ahead and use instant. I’m not going to tell.
  • Once the meat mixture, the eggplant and potatoes are ready, grab a casserole dish, spraying the bottom as you go.
  • Begin layering the casserole with a layer of eggplant, followed by the meat mixture, and finally potatoes. Repeat this process until you have used all of your ingredients, ending with potatoes on the top.
  • At this point, you may want to sprinkle cheese over the top. It adds a bit of flavor and color for those festive occasions, like Tuesday nights.
  • Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 minutes.
  • Serve.

I enjoy mine with raw onion. I find that it enhances the Moussaka quite well. I hope you all enjoy this yummy recipe as much as I do. It is a terrific way to use eggplant!

~Annie

If you would like to follow Homestead Annie on Facebook,please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment