Thursday, January 31, 2013

Annie’s Chickens




I grew up with chickens as a part of my everyday life. As long as I could remember, there was always a chicken coop somewhere in the backyard. Always a rooster and a few hens. Always fresh eggs.

To me, chickens are a soothing presence. The clucks, the struts, the cackles, the crows. All of it combines into a little taste and remembrance of fond memories of my childhood. Within a week of moving to our little homestead, I proudly came home with a mama hen and her 10 little chicks. JP just sighed and built a coop. I was in chicken heaven.

If you are thinking of joining the growing trend of owning your own chickens for eggs, meat, or pure enjoyment, there are several questions to keep in mind.

First of all, what is the purpose of your soon-to-be flock?  The answer to this question will lead you down the right path of selecting the ideal breed. 

If you are looking for a meat bird, a Cornish Cross could be for you. Cornish Cross are ready for butchering within 6-8 weeks. They are raised specifically as a meat bird. Be prepared to pour the feed into them towards the end of the 6-8 weeks. Poultry has a feed to meat ratio of 2:1, meaning that for every two pounds of feed you give your chicken, it will gain 1 pound of meat. I find my Cornish Cross to be plump in the breast and the thigh area. Perfect for stewing, roasting, or frying. Warning: In my experience, Cornish Cross chickens are VERY aggressive. I do not allow Little Bug to help me care for this group of chickens. I also keep them separated from the other breeds, as they will attack and peck at will.

If fresh eggs are your goal, I recommend Araucana chickens. These gentle ladies take almost a year to mature, but once they do, they will lay you the most beautiful eggs ever seen. Blue, green, pinkish, and yellowish brown, the eggs are so colorful that it almost seems a shame to eat them. However, once you do, you will be amazed at the rich, full flavor.

If you would like to raise a breed that will give you both meat and eggs, I recommend Buff Orpingtons. While not as meaty as the Cornish Cross, Buffs have a wonderful disposition, lay beautiful brown eggs, and are good in a stew pot.

Secondly, where will you be keeping your flock? Will you build them a coop? Will they be free range? I have had chickens both ways, and I have found that my ladies are happiest in their coop. They feel safe and lay better. In the winter months, they nestle amongst the hay and enjoy the heat lamps. In the summer, they go outside to catch a cool breeze. If they are in a coop, I have an easier time finding the eggs as well. Make sure to keep your coop clean and loaded with fresh straw or hay and plenty of fresh water.

If you decide to allow your chickens to free range, make sure you have plenty of room for them to roam. Unless you have very understanding neighbors, you do not want your chickens roaming away. It is not fair to the chickens or your neighbors. Also, be sure that you have fresh water available for them at all times, as well as shelter from bad weather.

Lastly, where will you obtain your chickens? I usually purchase mine through a local feed store of farm store. While you can get them through mail order, you do run the risk of them arriving dead or injured. By selecting them at the farm store, you can handpick the best ones for your new flock.

When ordering, you will be asked if you want a straight or mixed run. A straight run will be all one gender. This is ideal if you are ordering for egg layers. A mixed run will be a mix of hens and roosters. They are usually cheaper and are fine for meat birds.

If you decide to invest in egg layers, I HIGHLY recommend obtaining a rooster. Any breed will do, as long as the rooster has a good disposition and can control his lady friends. We have a Bantam rooster that keeps all nine of our hens in line. Without him, the hens were constantly fighting and pecking at each other. Once our rooster was introduced into the coop, the hens settled down into a much more peaceable existence. Make sure that you have a friendly rooster. This is essential to the happiness of your coop. This can be done by raising a mixed run and noting the friendliest rooster as the one to keep. Note: Our rooster needs a break from his ladies every now and then. Every day he takes himself over to the goat pen to hang out with Ellie the goat. I have found that by allowing him to do this, he is a much happier, stress-free rooster. This may be true for your rooster as well.

There are several breeds of chickens from which to choose. I have shared with you the breeds that work best for my situation. Each situation is different. I urge you to research which breeds are best for you.

Remember, Frank Lloyd Wright said, “Regard it just as desirable to build a chicken house as it is to build a cathedral.”


Enjoy your new additions and stay tuned for a future post on how to care for your new chickens once you get them home.

~Annie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! The hubs & I are looking forward to chickens when we move to our homestead soon. We actually considered skipping the rooster to avoid the early morning wake up call, but now we may get one.

    We recently introduced a new female cat to our family and it has not been well received by our other two females. Maybe I need a rooster in the house to settle them down too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could help! Yes, a happy hen house includes a happy rooster! I am not so sure how that goes for cats. ;)

      Delete