Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Why This Mama Will Never Shop At Abercrombie and Fitch



Today I read a very disturbing article. In it, the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch relays what he thinks of those that are not part of the “beautiful people” set. Take, for instance, this snippet from the article…

 “As far as Jeffries is concerned, America’s unattractive, overweight or otherwise undesirable teens can shop elsewhere. “In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he says. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either.”

Seriously?!?!? The article goes on to tell how 61-year-old Mike Jefferies plans to attract, and keep, only the “cool kids.” He explains that they hire only “good looking” people in their stores. His theory is that good-looking people will attract other good-looking people.

Jefferies also banned any women’s sizes larger than size 10. His reasoning is that those over size 10 are undesirables, and he does not want undesirables seen in A&F clothing, nor in his stores.

I was actually speechless for several minutes after reading the article. I read the article again, hoping to make sense of what I was reading.

Why on earth would we, as parents, support such an outlandish attack on our children? I would never allow someone to call Little Bug undesirable, fat, unattractive, etc., so why on EARTH are parents not only allowing it, but supporting it by purchasing clothes from this retail chain?

It blows my mind that America’s teens, who are at a very vulnerable point in their lives, are subjected to stores that truly believe that only the blessed few “lucky ones” should shop there.

When did this bigotry become socially acceptable? And who gets to decide who is beautiful? Handsome? Cool?

As a former teacher, I have seen every size and shape walk through my door. I love each child and celebrate him or her for who they are, not what they look like. Shame on Mr. Jefferies for excluding those that are not in accordance to how he thinks a person should look, and shame on Abercrombie and Fitch for encouraging his behavior.

Mr. Jefferies states that no mother is going to protest her child wearing clothing from A&F. Sir, this is your first mistake. This mama will protest, loud and proud. My Little Bug will never wear your clothing. There are several other wonderful stores and outlets from which to choose.

While I could easily fit into the clothing in your stores, I will never step foot into one of your stores again. I understand that you believe yourself to be one of the “cool kids,” and therefore able to call the shots. However, here is the thing, Mr. Jefferies. You can only stay “cool” for so long.

 It really is true that the “nerds” rule the world. I am a nerd. I am also a mama. And hell hath no fury like a nerdy mama protecting her cubs from insolent fools of this world.

~Annie

If you would like to follow Homestead Annie on Facebook, please click here.


6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth BennettMay 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

    Fantastic post! I will be sharing this with everyone I know to help spread the word to not shop there. We will not be shopping there either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely insane! You can bet you'll never see me or mine there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Annie this is a wonderful piece of work. I am glad to find out that there is a parent out there that is smart enough to call a jerk by what he is. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who worked there for a little bit while in college, and said that when certain "types" of girls and guys would come in and ask for an application to apply, after they left the employees and even managers would make fun of them and say, "Yeah right, like we'd ever hire someone like them.." My friend was completely disgusted and said she would never work there again and quit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My money is better spent elsewhere. I was raise with "can't eat out of a pretty plate if there is nothing in it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter just got done cleaning out her closet.

    ReplyDelete