Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thoughts On Boston:Love Conquers All




As many times as the videos of the twin bombings in Boston have been played, and replayed, throughout the past 24 hours, I have noticed something.

 It took me a few views to see it. At first, I watched with horror, as the bombs exploded and people fell to the ground. However, once I looked further (I would say 'got past', but one really cannot get past such videos as these,) this is what I saw…

 I saw people running towards the explosions. I saw marathon workers. I saw first responders. I saw marathon runners. I saw moms. I saw dads. I saw employees of the local shops.

All running towards the carnage. Working together. Crawling through twisted metal. Tearing down fences. Reaching out to those that were scared. Tying tourniquets onto limbs. Carrying those that could not walk. Comforting those that could not be moved.

Racing through the streets with gurneys and wheelchairs, crossing a finish line that, moments before had held so much meaning, yet now seemed to be an insignificant blip on the radar, in a race against time to get the injured to hospitals.

 I saw the good of humanity rising up to and surmounting this display of evil. I saw national pride. I saw the best, and worst, of humanity, all within one video clip.

I saw that no matter how much a person or group may try to drag us down. No matter how many times a person or group tries to terrorize us. No matter how many attacks may occur on American soil. No matter how much evil may try to manifest itself in our world. Love conquers all.

The love we have for our brothers and sisters rose up in grand fashion yesterday during those terrifying hours. Once again, we, as humans, were put to the test. Once again we showed our true colors.

Many will rail against the world, America, the government, and anyone else that may seem easy to blame for such an evil act. Many will ask what our world, and specifically, this country, is coming to.

 However, I choose not to join in these masses. I choose, instead, to see the glimmer of good in this tragedy. To see the one bright light in the sea of darkness. I choose to recognize and celebrate the love that mankind displayed yesterday afternoon in the streets of Boston.

The kind of love that makes rational, logical adults run towards danger. The kind of love that makes these same people risk their own lives in hopes of saving and helping others.

In the aftermath of yet another tragedy, I choose to focus on these heroes, remembering a verse taken from I Corinthians 13, verse 13. “And now these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is Love.”
As Mr. Rogers told us so long ago, “When I was a boy and would see scary things in the news, my mothers would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people helping.’”

Mr. Rogers and his mother were right. You will always find people helping. Why? Because love conquers ALL.

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment