Friday, April 12, 2013

Annie’s Bubble and Squeak




 A family favorite while I was growing up, was Bubble and Squeak. My mom always would laugh and say that the bubble was from the cabbage and the squeak was from the pig. While I am not sure that was the case, it doesn’t truly matter. It is delicious, and I am here to share my recipe with you.

Bubble and Squeak is an old English recipe, with as many variations as chili. Some variations call for multiple steps and multiple ingredients. Mine is much simpler, with only three ingredients.

Annie’s Bubble and Squeak

  • Brown 1 pound of sausage. For me, the spicier, the better!
  • Chop one head of cabbage. Place in pot. Fill pot until cabbage is just covered.
  • Cook cabbage until almost tender.
  • Add ¼ cup butter.
  • Add cooked sausage.
  • Cook until cabbage is tender.
  • Serve.

That’s it. Seriously easy. Seriously short prep time. You may add whatever you wish to this dish. Carrots and potatoes are old favorites. I prefer to just enjoy the flavors of the cabbage mingled with the sausage.


As Lanston Hughes said, “ Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.”

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment