Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Journey Through Debt: Part 7: Reacquainting Myself with the Library




After stopping my spending cold, I went into a major pouting stage. I missed going to the movies. I missed buying the latest CD. I missed renting movies. I missed going to the bookstore and walking out with the new best seller. I missed the Internet. I. Missed. My. Life.

I wallowed in my self-pity for quite awhile. I am sure that it was very attractive to all that lived and worked around me. For some reason, knowing that every paycheck was spent before I received it bothered me. A lot.

 In reality, it had always been spent before I received it, at least since my debt had started piling up. However, now I knew that there was no “vacation from reality” coming my way. No “payday splurges.” No “I worked hard all week so I deserve a night out.” Nothing.

Once I realized this, I felt that my going to work was rather pointless. Although I had indeed signed my name to all of those little charge slips that had created the debt pit I was living in, I somehow still was trying to defend my actions. Since I knew that my paycheck was going to essentials and debt repayment, I knew that “fun” activities were long gone.

Or so I thought. Enter, the local library. I had had library cards for all of the local libraries because I had been a teacher before Little Bug came along. Once in awhile I would check out a few books to use with whatever unit I was presenting to my students. That was the extent of my library usage. Things were about to change.

My first encounter with the library as a vacation destination was a bit surreal. Sure, I knew they had books. All libraries have books. I wanted to read the latest book in a series by my favorite author. Of course since there was no money allotted in my new budget for such frivolities, I headed to the library.

Yes, the local library had the book for which I was searching. However, I found so much more. I found shelves and shelves of newly released books, as well as reference materials and older books.

I found a vast collection of movies, documentaries, TV series, and more in their DVD section. I found CD’s, current newspapers, and my favorite magazines (remember, the ones I had to cancel my subscription to because of all my debt?). I even found artwork available for check out. Yes. Art work.

Y’all, it was like an entire world opened up to me. The longer I stayed, the more I discovered. Programs for children. Classes on crocheting, card making, gardening, etc. Lectures. Book groups. Tax help. Internet and computer usage. Wi-Fi. All for free.
FREE. As in there was zero charge to do any of it. I was as happy as a pig in mud. I checked out an armful of books, three movies, 2 CD’s and a painting. I signed up for a lecture. I surfed the Internet. Then I went home. The desire to go out and obtain “things” had been satiated, and I had not even spent a penny.
After that day, I became a regular at my local library. I enter every contest, go to many lectures, peruse their new release section. When I enter the library, I am greeted by name. I am made to feel welcome, and I love it.
Over the years, my local library has become more than just a place of entertainment. As I worked through obtaining my Master’s of Education, the library staff was with me every step of the way. While I live in a small town in rural Indiana, that would never be known from viewing our library’s capabilities.
Whenever I needed a book, article, of movie, they found a way to get it for me. Through inter-library loan, they were able to get me the two most rare books I have ever read. One came from the rare books vault at Indiana University. The other came from The Library of Congress. The Library of Congress, y’all. Yep, our little local library went all the way to the Library of Congress to find the book I needed for my research.
The inter-library loan feature is available to anyone. If there is something you would like to read, listen to, or view and you cannot find it at your library, just ask if it is available on inter-library loan. Yes, you may have to wait a while to get it, but you do not have to pay a thing.
Another great feature of the library is that usually there are funds set aside for purchasing items to add to the library’s inventory. If there is a book that I would love to read but do not find it in our system, I will sometimes ask if the library is willing to purchase it. If the funds are available, the library readily agrees, and I am put first on waiting list to read it.
As you climb out of your debt pit, one step at a time, do not do as I did. Do not wallow in self-pity for months on end, looking back with longing to the days of concerts and shopping. Embrace the now. Enjoy the free things in life for a while. Check out your local library and all of the services it has to offer. I believe that if given the chance, you will learn to cherish it as I have.
As William Shakespeare said, “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.”
Never doubt yourself. Remember, you are not alone on this journey. I have heard from several readers regarding their journey through debt. You can do this. We are in this together. All of us.
~Annie

5 comments:

  1. I. love. the. library!! Tons of movies! Comic books! Magazines! CD box sets! Story time! Best of all...the video games! It's the best feeling in the world when my little guy checks out a game, decides by the end of the week that he doesn't like it anymore...and I think, "wow, I would have spent $50 on that, only to have it sit on the shelf. Instead I can take it back and get another!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred~

      I feel the same way! When Little Bug REALLY likes a book, I will purchase it as a gift. However, we try to always give it a test drive at the library.

      ~Annie

      Delete
  2. ...seriously? I'm paying for netflix and going to the movies why? I may actually go to libraries away from the one in Hanna....I'm just not into that place. Are people allowed to get library cards at libraries that are not local to them? I guess I never really thought about the library as an alternative to spending money on entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robb,

      Yes, there is sometimes a small fee involved, but there are many libraries that are available for your use. You should be able to get a LaPorte County Library card and use it at all of the branches, as well as the one in LaPorte. (Fabulous library there by the way!)

      ~Annie

      Delete
  3. You're such an inspiration, Annie! Being in debt is not the best feeling in the world. It's not even easy to deal with it. But in all of this, I'm glad that you now overcome your feelings about being in debt and now enjoying your life with what you have. There are so many things that are still free these days and we just have to sincerely look for it for us to enjoy it, just like you did. Anyway, I wish you luck in your goals to be debt-free! >Allan Morais< @ PaddonYorke.com

    ReplyDelete