Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Journey Through Debt: Part 5: Cutting the Budget: Unplug




Once I had cut out spending money on entertainment, I took a look through other bills that were for essentials, hoping to find places that I could stretch my dollars. I found the first in my electric bill.

Seemingly little items, left plugged in, use electricity. Those little charges add up to quite a hefty sum of money over a month’s time. They add up to an even more significant charge over a year’s time.

Not one of the items on the list are hard to do, per se, however, they do require a bit of extra time. Whenever you get frustrated or tired of spending time doing items on the list, just remember that you are doing this to pay down your debt and get out of your debt pit.

  • Unplug the following between uses:
    • Electronics. Examples include TV, DVD player, Stereo, VCR (yes we still have, and use a VCR,) game systems, charger cords, etc. To make this easy for us, JP and I use outlet strips. Not only does it make it easy and convenient, we have also found that it somewhat protects our electronics in case of a power surge.  Yes, I understand that the clock might blink at you when you go to plug it back in. However, it’s ok. Either set it every time or ignore. Your choice.
    • Appliances: Examples include coffee pot, toaster, coffee bean grinder, toaster oven, mixer, food processor, and, if you are hardcore, your microwave.

  • Use a clothesline. Yes, it is easier and less time consuming to throw the clothes into the dryer. However, it is much more cost effective to use a clothesline. You might be thinking, “I don’t have a clothes line, Annie, so shove it!” (I do recognize that I did not have the most positive attitude during this time of my life, so I am willing to extend grace to you if you are mentally calling me names as we journey down the debt road together.)You do not need to own a clothesline. While a clothesline is helpful, you may also use laundry racks, the shower curtain bar, etc. The initial investment of my clothesline was $80. I am positive that I have saved several times over that amount by using my line from March through November.
  • Turn lights off when you leave a room. I do realize this sounds elementary, but most people just do not take the time to shut off lights. Now, if you are going right back into the room, just leave it on. Otherwise, if you are finished in that room, flip the switch.


You will be amazed at how much money you can save just by being diligent in these areas. At the end of the month, take your savings on the electric bill, and apply it towards paying down the principle of your debt.

 I know there is probably some other very tempting use for that money, but remember, the entire point of all of this sacrificing is to get yourself out of your debt pit. I promise it is worth the sacrifice. As the debt slowly goes away, the huge weight upon your life will lessen. The worry will slowly melt away. The creditors will stop calling. You can do it.

As Robert Cushing said, “The fact is, that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and scramble through as well as we can.”

~Annie

4 comments:

  1. As my mom always says, "When not in use, turn off the juice."

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the title for this one I was thinking, "Oh goodness..." but after reading some of the tips, I felt like I got a lot out of it. I bought a bulk number of power strips on ebay and I'm only using a few of them at the moment. However, I'm going to make a concerted effort to use them effectively when I have my own place. I honestly was thinking, "No...she's not going to say unplug everything individually...is she...? *cries a little bit inside*" But the power strip idea is pretty epic.

    I may also end up having a clothesline. My grandma has always used clotheslines and I never gave much thought to how much money was saved using the clothesline over the dryer...especially over the course of years and decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robb,

      The savings really do add up, especially over time!

      ~Annie

      Delete