Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Annie's Baked Ham



With the approach of Easter, I see more and more sales on hams at the grocery. I find this time of year to be a good time to take advantage of the sales, stocking up on hams for the entire year.

I find ham to be one of the absolute easiest meats to prepare for my family.  I also believe that it is meat that, once fixed, can be stretched to several meals for my family. After the initial meal of ham, the troops know that they will soon be seeing Annie's Ham and Bean Soup, ham sandwiches, and any other recipe involving ham that I may stumble upon.

Annie’s Baked Ham

  • Select appropriate sized oven-safe pot. Make sure that ham will fit in pot with lid on. If you do not have a large enough pot, you may use tinfoil for the top. I use an enamel coated, cast-iron, 6-quart pot.
  • Place ham, flat side down, in pot.
  • Fill pot half way with water.
  • Place in a 250-degree oven for 7 hours.
  • Remove from oven. Let sit for 15-30 minutes.
  • Remove ham from pot, placing on platter.
  • Serve.

That is it. Seriously. It is really that simple. If you would rather not use your oven, place your ham in a crock-pot, fill halfway with water, set to low, and walk away for 8-10 hours.

Remember, meats do best when cooked slowly, on a low heat. If cooked correctly, your ham will literally fall apart and melt in your mouth. 

Have  wonderful day and remember, “People with many interests live, not only longest, but happiest.” ~George Matthew Allen.

~Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment