Sunday, January 12, 2014

Papa Mel’s Red Beans and Rice


Until I went off to college, I never had one lick of interest in cooking. Standing in the kitchen of my first apartment, I realized I needed to learn something about cooking. So, I did what every other college student does in my position…I called home to ask mom what to do.

Only mom was not home. So my dad did the best he could, with what he knew. One of the few recipes he knew to make, was Red Beans and Rice.




I still have, and use, the scrap piece of paper on which I hurriedly scratched down Dad’s recipe as I stood in the kitchen of my tiny apartment at Purdue. Today, I share it with you…


 
 Papa Mel’s Red Beans and Rice

  • Brown one pound of group Italian sausage
  • Dice and add 1 medium sized onion and 1 green bell pepper. Cook until veggies are translucent.
  • Add 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 ½ tsp. sea salt, 1 tsp oregano.
  • Add 1 tomato, chopped. If you do not have fresh tomatoes, you may use a can of chopped tomatoes. Stir. Allow to sauté for 3 minutes.
  • Add 6 cups of water and three cups of rice, being sure to stir the pot, all the way to the bottom. If this is not done, the rice will stick and burn on the bottom of the pot.
  • Add 2 cups of kidney beans, drained. Stir.
  • Bring to a light boil, lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally. Once rice is cooked, shut burner off.

I love to make this dish for church gatherings, or as a make and take for new moms or people that have recently had surgery. It is also a family favorite. I usually pair Papa Mel’s Red Beans and Rice recipe with my cornbread recipe.


~Annie 

If you would liek to follow Homestead Annie on Facebook, please follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment