Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Homestead Annie’s Frozen Kale




As of right now, I have a garden full of kale, as well as a pan full on my kitchen counter, which is demanding my attention.

I enjoy kale mixed in salads, as well as straight out of the garden, raw. I am also going to try a new recipe tonight with pan-fried kale.

However, my favorite use of kale is for a family dish that mixes kale with potatoes and smoked sausage (a post for another time.)

In order to be able to have kale for winter, I enjoy putting it up as it comes on in my garden. It is a very simple preservation technique, one that can be used for kale out of your own garden, a local farmers’ market, or your grocery.

Homestead Annie’s Frozen Kale

  • Select healthy, full leaves. Discard leaves with holes or insect damage.
  • Wash leaves under cold, running water, placing in colander to dry.
  • Fold kale leaf in half and trim leaves from spine. Discard spine (I give mine to our chickens and rabbits.)
  • Place leaves in microwave steamer. I bought mine from Pampered Chef. It is well worth my money. If you do not have a microwave steamer, you can use a bowl with a lid, partially set on.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of water. Cover.
  • Place in microwave for 5 minutes.
  • Drain.
  • Cool.
  • Place in one-quart freezer bag. If the bag is not full, set aside in your freezer and add to it as more kale comes in from your garden.

That’s it. Simple, really. You can use your supply of frozen kale to add to soups and main dishes throughout the winter. Enjoy your day, my friends!

~Annie

If you would like to follow Homestead Annie on Facebook, simply follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment